The dangers of living in a house with mold problems

The dangers of living in a house with mold problems

The dangers of living in a house with mold problems

Sometimes unseen…always lethal!

Environmentalists categorize Mold as a type of fungus which is present in nature and is almost ubiquitous in where it’s found. Spores of mold, which are microscopic seeds, are present virtually in any environment, including in our homes, in the form of general dust that lays around un-disturbed.

Uninvited guests

Like any other fungi, Mold lives, eats and grows, which can be extremely deadly when it co-resides in a home with people in it too. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) warns that there is sufficient evidence to believe that being exposed to Mold indoors leads to:

  • upper respiratory tract symptoms, coughing, and wheezing in otherwise healthy people
  • asthma symptoms in people with asthma and
  • hypersensitivity pneumonitis in individuals susceptible to that immune-mediated condition

Because of where black mold is found indoors – often (but not always) in dark and sparsely trafficked areas – it’s extremely easy for it to sneak into our home uninvited, and wreak havoc on the home and its inhabitants without homeowners even knowing what’s causing these problems.

Free range creatures

Inside the house, Mold might occur if there is excessive moisture anywhere. Such conditions might arise due to roof leaks, flooding, plumbing or drainage issues, damp or wet crawlspaces and basements, or even insufficient outlets for moisture to escape from the shower or kitchen. In fact, just the simple act of inadvertently storing damp linen on a shelf could trigger Mold growth.

And once it has taken root, Mold can roam freely around the home with ease, causing otherwise healthy residents to get ill, and making ill insiders even more so.

  • Your allergies may seem to get worse
  • You might sneeze, itch and scratch all over
  • You may feel lethargic and irritable
  • You may have difficulty sleeping or even breathing

Their minute structures and light weight mean that even the slightest of disturbance – like vibrations on a floor, wall or ceiling – can set them in motion. Then, they can roam freely throughout the home through the ventilation and exhaust systems.

Telltale signs

If you notice discoloration on your walls and ceilings or if wooden floors seem warped, or if you observe condensation on windows and near walls, then that’s a sure sign of possible Mold. Often, where there is Mold, there’s also a peculiar distinct musky odour. It will usually hit you hard as soon as you enter a room that’s hosting Mold.

Since Mold is a captive indoors, it cannot escape by itself. Homeowners must take steps to “de mold”, including:

  • Inspection and cleaning of rarely used spaces
  • Regular de-cluttering all over the house
  • Fixing excessive humidity issues
  • Proper ventilation

The longer that Mold is allowed to stay on as an uninvited guest, the more damage it will wreak on home, appliances, residents and pets. Even priceless possessions, like historical records, family heirlooms and pieces of art can be destroyed forever.

 

/ Blog

Share the Post

About the Author

Comments

Comments are closed.