DIY mold removal – why it’s a bad idea

DIY mold removal – why it’s a bad idea

The risks far outweigh the rewards!

You know how to drive your car – and you’ve done it well over many decades without any accidents. Good for you! You are also very adept at using your computer. You can apply the latest patches, upgrade your operating system and even add/delete devices onto your home network. That’s indeed a great achievement!

So, given all those accomplishments, does it mean you are ready to repair your own car or fix your own PC? Hardly! And the same applies to DIY mold removal. Read on to learn why it may not be such a good idea after all!

DIY does not = DIR!

For some household projects, Doing It Yourself (DIY) does not always equate to Doing It Right (DIR). Sure you can replace that fused bulb out in the porch. And when it comes to cleaning the gutters, you might be able to take that on successfully as well. But there are some projects that even the handiest of homeowners should give pause before tackling head-on. Why?

  • There may be serious health and safety considerations to think about
  • A higher degree of skill and knowledge is required to do them right
  • DIW (Doing it wrong) can dent more than your ego!

DIY mold removal projects are one of those that handy homeowners should give careful thought before starting. Unlike changing a light bulb or fixing a broken window pane, mold removal is a highly complex art, and needs the backing of science if it’s to be done right. Here’s why:

  • Serious consequences

There are a dozen different types of mold that homeowners can encounter inside the home, and each of them has a unique characteristic. The diversity of mold species can even stump some professionals, with some that are more toxic than others. Unless homeowners know exactly what type of mold they are dealing with, the wrong type of handling could lead to devastating consequences!

  • Making matters worse

Mold is highly airborne, and can quickly propagate itself over a large area inside a home if it is not handled correctly. While using a brush or a vacuum cleaner on most household dirt and dust can work wonders, doing the same on a patch of mold could in fact send it into the atmosphere, onto nearby surfaces, and even through the homes’ ventilation system.

  • Improper protection

When dealing with mold, homeowners must wear proper protective gear. According to CDC guidelines, that means more than simply a pair of gloves. Because of the toxic nature of some mold species, experts go in with gloves, protective eyewear and face masks. Many professionals will dawn on full protective coveralls – just to be safe. DIY mold removers are usually not as well prepared, which makes them highly susceptible to the fallout from improper handling of the substance.

Short term gain – long term pain!

As a DIY mold remover, you may save a few dollars from doing it yourself, but in the process, you are risking not only your own health but that of other occupants in your home. Additionally, because of its highly resilient nature, unknown to you, mold could be left behind to do unimaginable damage to your property if remediated improperly.  It is always best to leave mold removal up to the experts, like the Mold Remediation Pros.

/ Blog

Share the Post

About the Author

Comments

Comments are closed.